Monday, March 21, 2011

SIGUR ROS saeglopur

SIGUR ROS, an Icelandic band that came to my attention one day while shopping at Tower Records in about 2003 or so, just a few short years before the 'record business' collapsed into a pile of dust and Tower closed..and long after i had given up any hope of having MTV or VH1 on my tv,........apparently first achieved 'critically acclaimed' status in 1999 after the release of their first full length album. don't ask me why it took me so long to hear them. i had stopped listening to KUSF for various reasons, mostly because of bad reception. i was listening to Cocteau Twins and Led Zeppelin and still building my collection of rock classics. upon hearing SIGUR ROS in Tower that day i knew immediately that i had found some new music heroes. i bought a live EP (still don't have their discography down) and listened to it as soon as i got home. my first reaction was 'wow, that is some killer guitar and some fantastically evocative sound, but that chick really can't sing very well'....so i muddled on..the lush symphonics allowing me to forgive the sometimes offensively offkey vocals. then one day a few months later, on the bus i think, i came to be discussing the band with a young man, a total stranger. i mentioned my dismay at the strange female vocals in the band's work. 'that's not a girl', the young afficionado replied.....oh.....NOW i GET it...!

No comments: